I have no commandeered a few friends into a bit of a sew-a-long. We are mostly rank amatures who have never made real people clothing before and are a bit scared go it alone. We are officially the blind leading the blind. As a group we will each be making this the Laurel pattern by Colette.
It is lightly fitted, can be made into a tunic or a blouse and seems fairly straight forward. The pattern was digital and could be printed off. Bloody hell fire though, have you ever tried taping a 45 page pdf together with a toddler in the area. Just a tip, DON'T. I am still not sure what fabric I will make it in, but I know it will involve a Peter Pan collar with thanks to my new blog crush (the lovely Gertie from the blog for better sewing.) and be blouse length. Ish. Just for giggles and kicks I will also be making myself Hollyburn skirt from Sewaholic in this fabric fantastic double gauze fabric from Nani Iro.
Amazeballs huh? I am utterly terrifyed about cutting into it as it was not cheap and there is very little room for error. Also I will be making the the Violet blouse from Colette. I am hoping to make this in some fabby voile that I have but we will see how it goes. I feel I may be over extending a wee bit.
Now comes the hard part. I have learned the hard way that it really is in your interest to make a muslin. This is like a rough draught in cheapo fabric (I personally use old sheets) before you cut into the good stuff. I also learned that one must wash said sexy new fabric before you use it as there is nothing more soul destroying than putting blood, sweat, tears and a shit load of money into something and then sobbing into your (in my case) very confused husbands arms as said garment now looks like a misshapen potato sack that would fit your daughters Barbi (if she had one). Any way you get my gist.
This proves somewhat of a challenge to my ADD addled brain. I am proud to say that so far I have mostly adhered to this system. Mostly. There have been a few over enthusiastic mishaps with Monkey stuff, like this..
It started out as a fun summer hat for the Monkey and due to a slight needle debacle, it got a larger seam on the brim. It looks more like a bowl than a hat, so a bowl it shall be.
There have been a few triumphs though. Inspired by this look from the lovely blog nestedinstitches, I have made the shorts and am about to make the tunic. The tunic is her own design but there is a similar one from Olive + S called Puppet show, and the shorts she made are from those, so here they are in all their vintage cord glory. I will make the tunic in a light sand colour with the collar in the same cord. So freaking cute.
I also finally got around to making a Geranium dress from Made by Rae. I already made her Washi dress for me and I love it!!!! This one was made in the most fantastic light weight cotton from a shop near me called Heinde en Van Verre. They import their fabrics from India and they are so lovely that is blows my mind. This one was made in a light weight cotton with such a pretty sheen. The colour combination is fun and looks great on the Monkey.
On that note, I applaud you if you have made it to the end of this posting and possibly have another in my this week with more "Garden on a shoestring" updates.