Friday, 8 March 2013

Monkey parties and an obsession with bunting.


Parties are always stressful, unless you are not the one throwing it, you are drunk, and/or you are super human.

This last weekend I was none of these.  As I previously mentioned I decided in my wisdom to have a party for the wee one.  How hard can it be? Waaaaa hahaha! Being the control freak I am, I had to do everything myself.  I had lists for my lists.  I was going to out source some tasks but generally I thought I could do it all.

I am known as Crafty McCrafterson, of the clan McCraft.  I had expectations of myself that were insane.  Then Pinterest and its bloody (insert expletive here) ideas and craft boards happened.  I have managed to avoid Pinterest for a while as, to my ADD brain, it is perception overload.  I can't take it all in.  You innocently browse with a few minutes to kill, next thing you know, you have lost two hours, are up to your ears in tissue paper, mason jars, a glue gun and your husbands old shirts with not a damn clue how you got there.  Oh hells, I'm calling it, it is a time sucking idea fest' for over achievers and people who have better time management than me.  I want to dive into some things right here and now.  I seriously don't have enough words to describe my love hate relationship with it.  It is crack for crafters.

Now with this in mind I had to make my own decorations (insert eye roll here).  Obviously.  The only problem is that I was having a bit of a sewing block.  So, three days before the party, working on 2 days without sleep and a whole lot of coffee, Ritalin and some quality Monkey naps, I got cracking.  Did I get a tad sucked in?  Maybe.  I was a one woman production line as I dived into my scrap box with wild abandon.  The results were tremendous though if I do say so myself.

 
After that it turned into a whirlwind of baking cakes, cupcakes, dinner for two nights, cleaning (thanks mum, you are a trooper) frosting and icing said cakes, more cleaning, hiding of stuff you don't want seen and generally waiting for the first guest to turn up.  Luckily a few people had to cancel so the numbers went down to a manageable proportions.  I dread to think what I would have done if everyone had turned up, but it all went off with out a hitch.  For future reference though, a word of advice, don't try to do it on your own.  Did she have fun?  Probably.  Did I?  Eventually.  Was it worth the micro-management and the "I must do it myself" attitude?  Hells no.  Next time, (and yes there probably will be a next time)  I will outsource the shit out of it and accept the offered help.


And on the plus side the bunting is already made.  





No comments:

Post a Comment