Monday, 25 February 2013

Herman cake, Chablis and a wee bit of sewing.

Anyone remember friendship cake?  I kind of did and then was reminded by my good friend Peter Pan.  It was big in the 80's and possibly before.  Anyway, I was gifted a wee pot of cake mix named Herman.  Yes, Herman (I did not name Herman, but I have grown quite fond of him).  Herman came with instructions on a day to day basis.  Herman and I have bonded.  I have fed him, talked to him, stirred him daily and generally lost my marbles.  Herman and I are on a ten day plan.  Today is day 8. In two days I get to split him up, pass on his babies to deserving friends and cook what is left over of him.  I have to say I have never invested this much in a cake before (or anything else for that matter) so expectations are high.  For those of you mad enough to be here on Saturday then you may get a slice of Herman cake.  Maybe.


So..... Saturday.......  It would appear that I am having a birthday party for Monkey.  She is turning one on Thursday.  Seriously, what the hell was I thinking?  Oh wait, I wasn't.  I thought sure, maybe a few friends, some cake, how hard can it be?  So, in a moment of weakness, aided by a glass or two of Chablis (coz that's how I roll) I thought the most expedient way to invite people would be via facebook.

Chablis and I can not count.  Chablis and I forgot to take into consideration that people have more than one child, Chablis and I also didn't realise that not everyone shares our disdain for children's birthday parties.  Chablis "bottled" it (no pun intended) and deserted me to a panic attack. Chablis is a bastard.  So for two hours this Saturday, people (and their offspring) who I call friends, and apparently have nothing better to do, will descend on my home, eat cake, drink my tea/coffee/wine (as lets face it you can't do this shit sober) and laugh at the nervous, micromanaging wreak that I have become.  I have four days to stop procrastinating, bake, make decorations, and keep breathing. Thank God my mum is coming on Thursday.  My mum is the hostess with the mostess and will organise the shit out of this thing.

Finally, I have got a bit of sewing in this last few weeks.  I was in a bit of a funk, but I broke the back of it with the help of some awesome babysitting and nap time juggling, and am now back in the zone.  I made a few more blocks for Monika's quilt, a pair of storage boxes and a few zip up cases, to get back in the swing.
  







 
By far though, my favourite achievement this last few days is making some things for Cleo.  It has been a while since I made anything that I was really proud of.  I saw this pattern on one of the blogs I read called Dana made it and thought it could be cute in some vintage fabric that I have been sitting on for too long with some stripy knit on the reverse.  Not only was the pattern well thought out, but it was super easy to follow and the combinations are endless.  I see many more of these in Monkey's future.  


                                                         



The second was a spring jacket.  I have been looking for some time now for the right pattern not realizing that I had it in my possession all along.  It is from Anna Maria Horner's book Hand Made Beginnings.  For once I decided not to wing it in any way, but to follow the instructions to the letter. The only thing I didn't do is put elastic in the hood.  I thought it would look funny, in retrospect I regret that decision.  On the whole though I think that it is bloody awesome. I used the last of the vintage fabric from the vest and some other vintage fabric for the inside.  The combination is great.  I even embroidered two of the flowers on the front and on the sleeves.




So with that I will leave you as Cleo has just gone down for a nap, and I am in serious need of one myself.  Laters. x

 I also just found out that Herman has his own website.  How awesome is that. Herman the German cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment